Dear Ausdance members, independent dance artists, dance organisation and companies, supporters and friends,
Ausdance NSW is committed to the safety of our staff, artists, members and associated organisations. We have been and will continue to monitor the issues arising from the COVID-19 pandemic and how to minimise the spread of the virus.
As a result, Executive Director Michelle Silby, General Manager Susan Doel and the team, Lauren, Kate, and Remi, will be working remotely. This means our office in The Rocks is currently not staffed.
Especially during these uncertain times, the Ausdance NSW team will maintain our high-quality care and engagement with the diverse community of dancers, teachers, and students in the State. We are very aware of the dramatic financial, mental and artistic impacts this crisis is having in our sector especially for independent artists and organisations. Please email and call us. We will happily arrange phone and online meetings. We are currently having sector meetings over zoom, please do get in touch if you wish to attend.
What we are doing:
- All Ausdance NSW events will be cancelled until further notice. Including Open Classes in partnership with ReadyMade Works and Professional Arts Learning Series – Primary Creative Arts. All ticket holders have been contacted.
- We are sharing information through social media from updates on restrictions, funding and other annoucenments as well as a virtual ‘What’s On’ to keep everyone updated of classes and performances that are still going ahead online.
- We will continue to promote the value and needs of dance in the NSW arts sector and are speaking to all levels of Government to take action on the #Livesupport campaign from Live Performance Australia
- We will maintain resources specific to dance and the COVID-19 pandemic on our website
- We will continue to meet and speak to everyone who contacts us for support, advice and sharing information. We will gather this information as data to further our advocacy work during this crucial time
- We are taking the physical and mental health and wellbeing of our staff and sector very seriously
What members and dancers can do:
- Register any loss of income in the Ausdance Sector Survey.
- Follow #Livesupport
- Look at the Return to Dance guidelines and framework from the Ausdance National Network.
LPA has recorded that over 20, 000 work opportunities have been cancelled impacting more than 190, 000 people.
Please contact the team if you would like to talk about the situation, need information or just to have an online-virtual-dancing coffee.
This is a time to take care of each other.
Susan Doel: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Vassallo: email@example.com
Kate Maguire Rosier: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remi Harvey: email@example.com
From Executive Director Michelle Silby and the Ausdance NSW Team, Susan, Lauren, Kate, and Remi.
Support Act Wellbeing Helpline 1800 959 500 – a free, confidential service, available 24/7 to anyone who works in the performing arts. We are doing our very best to keep up with the additional demand, but there may be a slight delay. If you or someone you know is at immediate risk, please contact the Emergency Services on 000.
Phone Lifeline 13 11 14, Beyond Blue 1300 224 636 or click here for additional services.
Visit ‘Looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak’ from Beyond Blue.